The Kowalsky Fellowship provides support for a graduate student, preferably a woman, who is doing excellent research towards her dissertation. The award is established through a bequest from Walter and Yvonne Kowalsky in memory of their daughter Nadine Kowalsky, who died of leukemia in 1996. Nadine graduated from the University of Chicago in 1994 with a dissertation directed by Robert Zimmer.
- 2007 winner: Irene Peng
- 2009 winner: Elizabeth Beazley and Rachel Epstein
- 2010 winner: Ariel Barton and Anna Marie Bohmann
- 2012 winner: Elizabeth Blair Davey
- 2013 winner: Kathryn Mann
- 2014 winner: Katharine Turner
- 2016 winner: Asilata Bapat
- 2018 winner: Lei Chen
The Wirszup fellowship was established in 2012 in memory of Izaak Wirszup, a beloved member of our department and of the university community for many years, who had worked tirelessly towards improving the quality of mathematics education over the decades.
- 2017-2018 Winner: Clark Butler
- 2016-2017 Winners: Casey Rodriguez, Jonathan Wang
- 2012-2013 Winners: Andrew Lawrie, Alex Wright
- 2011-2013 Winner: Matthew Strom Borman
- 2008-2009 Winners: Elizabeth Townsend Beazley, Rachel Epstein
William Rainey Harper Dissertation Fellowship
This is the highest honor that the University of Chicago offers to any graduate student. The fellowship is awarded in the final year of graduate study to help the student concentrate on thesis completion.
- 2019-2020 Winner: Minh-Tam Quang Trinh